Tilefortlauderdale

One woman, lots of paint and hundreds of tiles. If you're here because you found a painted tile, it's yours to keep.

Saturday, August 02, 2008

Glenda's Guilt



Glenda recalled feeling angry when she read about some Palm Beacher who spent $180,000 on some ridiculously unnecessary thing when so many people couldn't even buy food or gas to get to work. But a few days later, as she sipped from her $7 restaurant glass of pinot noir about an hour after driving past yet another worn-down looking person with a Will Work for Food sign, Glenda was forced to reconsider her own values.

Dropped Glenda on a park bench in a tiny little park at Rio Vista and SE 9th Avenue in Fort Lauderdale after hearing the most amazing impromptu jam session at a house party ever ... It was my first time hearing a harmonium ... ever. I could go on, but I'm sleepy ... so I won't, except to say that a good time was had by all .. and fried pumpkin leaves from a garden are among the tastiest treats I have ever experienced.

4 Comments:

At 12:31 PM, Blogger neggraphics said...

I love Pinot Noir! But I usally give $1 to the homeless person at the traffic light. What about those billion dollar houses in the Hamptons? I have 2 jobs and can barely make ends meet. Its not fair rhat Glenda gets to spend 180,000!

 
At 12:58 PM, Blogger Mary Tiler More said...

Glenda didn't spend $180,000 ... She wouldn't even know what to do with that much money. She just felt guilty when an hour after seeing people begging on the streets, she was drinking a $7 glass of pinot noir ... She had to ask herself if she was any different than the person she'd just read about ... forking over money for things she didn't need when other people are starving. Not that there's anything wrong with pinot noir ... but she could have bought a whole bottle for $7 at Total Wine (not that she really needs to drink a whole bottle, but you know what I mean) ... Glenda doesn't have $180,000 or houses in the Hamptons. But she's got more than those people who are having to take to the streets because they can't pay their rent and they lost their car or maybe medical bills wiped them out. So she's just thinking that maybe she should do more to help ...

 
At 7:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found this lovely piece of folk art in the rest room at Dunkin Do Nuts on 15th and Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale, FL. on Friday, August 8, 2008 at 5:30pm. I stop in here everyday for my afternoon cocktail of a good cup of coffee and meet a table of other older gents to kibbitz and socialize. The tile was sitting atop the paper dispenser. When I first saw it I thought it was part of the advertising but noticed it was not attached to the wall. I picked it up and read your message on the back and thought how wonderful and clever you are whomever you are. What a great way to express yourself. In my book, YOU ROCK! I am a retired teacher and US Army Veteran (Viet Nam) and I understand completly the sentiment of your message. I will treasure this "find" and share it with many, many others as I already have. Thank you for your creativity and sharing this whimsical artwork with me. Hugs and kisses whomever you are. Jim

 
At 11:44 PM, Blogger Mary Tiler More said...

Well, thank you! I did get your comment on Glenda's Guilt. It's odd because I didn't hide that one at Dunkin Donuts, though I did hide one about Cubicle Workers there last night. Did you find that one? It's nice to get a note about it, as I put tiles out there all of the time but often don't hear anything, which I'm fine with too. So thanks, and thanks for sharing. And yes, happy 8/08/08 ... which is Bonza Bottler Day ... I guess it's not that well known, but it basically occurs on 1/1, and 2/2 and 3/3 ... you get the idea. You can Google for an interesting story about that if you like. So happy Bonza Bottler Day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home