Tilefortlauderdale

One woman, lots of paint and hundreds of tiles. If you're here because you found a painted tile, it's yours to keep.

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Sean's Sob Story


Sean's always whining that he's lonely and can't find the right person. He had a secret crush on his friend Sue for a year, but when it became clear that Sue liked him too, he became all cool and distant and downright weird. Confused, and annoyed by Sean's mixed messages, Sue ended their friendship. Now that she completely ignores Sean, he is tortured with his desire for her ... because Sean is just that kinda guy.

Dropped Sean at Cold Stone Creamery, 1501 SE 17th Street in Fort Lauderdale, so he could comfort himself with a cone.

I think I've passed the halfway mark on this tile project. I started with 297 tiles that were taking up space in my closet, and since acquired some more tiles found by the side of the road ... small purse-size ones. ... This week, several finders reported back. Shannon & Taylor of Dogma Grill promised to display Queen Helga. A guy named Dan reported that Froggie apparently caught someone named Monica off-guard, and just today, someone wrote in that they found Hannah at Firehouse Subs and that Hannah was the second tile they had found. This wouldn't be surprising if they read about it and then went looking for it, but I got the feeling these were random finds. With 190,000 people in Fort Lauderdale, what are the chances of one person finding two of the approximately 150 tiles out there, even if Moe's and Firehouse are in the same shopping area?

I never know where these little characters I create will end up, so it's kinda fun to hear about the finds. Thanks to all who adopted them. If you ever tire of them, just put them back out in the world and see how much fun it is to hide them.

6 Comments:

At 7:05 PM, Blogger Wide Lawns said...

I just wanted you to know that a couple weeks ago you left a tile near my house and I read about it and being sad about my grandfather's death, I decided at 10:30 at night that I MUST MUST go look for it and it MUST be mine. I got my husband involved. I think he went along because he knew I was sad. We practically scaled a fence and got shot by security guards to get it. Well, the tile was gone when we arrived but I wanted to thank you for the experience. Even though I didn't get the tile I got happy and excited and enthusiastic about something. I felt a sort of sense of abandon and adventure - that the fun and eccentric and whimsical was alive again and in that silliness of searching for a tile late at night, I felt very much alive too in a sad time in my life. So thanks. Now leave another one near me!

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Mary Tiler More said...

I'm really sorry to hear about your grandfather. I know that's a really hard thing to go through.

I'd love to leave another tile in your area, but I'm not sure which tile you were l seeking, so I don't know where I left it. I don't recall leaving one where one would have to scale a fence and risk their lives ... but wow, you had quite the adventure, and I'm thrilled that one of my tiles played a tiny role in a moment in which you felt whimsical and alive. I hope you have many more such moments, and that soon they far outweigh the grief.

 
At 12:25 PM, Blogger COLD STONE 17TH STREET said...

Hi,

I wanted to let you know. I discovered SEAN"S SOB STORY Tile in my "COLD STONE"
(17th St Causeway) bathroom today. Very interesting! Now it is being displayed in our community board – Which is full of fun pictures of our ice cream lovers!

Fatima

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Mary Tiler More said...

You mean Sean gets to stay at Cold Stone?? That's so nice. I think the ice cream might help poor Sean work through his tortured feelings. : )

 
At 3:45 PM, Blogger Wide Lawns said...

It was the one by the water taxi on the dock. I think they close up the gates at night.

 
At 5:19 PM, Blogger Mary Tiler More said...

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. It was already late at night, so I must have gone in a back way, as I don't recall a fence at the water taxi stop ... I recall it was a hard place to describe ... Someone from a water taxi found it. I'll leave one somewhere in that neighborhood again very soon, maybe this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home